A Bubble Tube is a fantastic piece of sensory equipment, which can both calm the user down and reduce the likelihood that they will exhibit unwanted behaviors.
A lot of specialist schools, nurseries and healthcare facilities use bubble tubes for sensory rooms, as their ability to help individuals de-escalate can improve their learning environment. This can lead to more productive activities and exercises, and a better experience for both students and teachers.
The lifespan and the functionality of the Bubble Tube is dependent on a couple of key factors:
- The quality of the bubble tube. A bubble tube is an investment, and buying it from a reputable company at a reasonable price means that it’s more likely to last. Experia USA’s bubble tubes use the best quality materials available, and our columns have the highest clarity of any acrylic tube. The air pumps that we use are amongst the best in the world.
- Bubble Tube Maintenance is incredibly easy, only requiring a few minutes of attention every eight to twelve weeks.
Why is it Important to Maintain a Bubble Tube?
Bacteria growth is the main reason why it is important to maintain a bubble tube. When water is left for a prolonged period of time, the level of bacteria inside gradually increases. This can cause issues with the diffuser, which is responsible for creating bubbles. Failing to clean it will lead to fewer bubbles, and over time you might stop seeing them altogether.
When the diffuser is unable to produce bubbles, increasing pressure is placed on the pump. This can result in two unwanted situations:
- The pump could overheat and become damaged. This could cost a lot of money to replace, as well as unnecessary time and effort.
- The increased pressure could also cause the one-way valve in the air line to fail. If this happens then the entire contents of the bubble tube will leak into the base, ruining the electronics and possibly your floor.
Bubble Tube Maintenance: Step by Step
Bubble Tubes are incredibly easy to manage, however it is important that you regularly maintain them. This will protect your investment and keep your Bubble Tube running at its optimum level.
- Water changes are essential in keeping your Bubble Tube healthy, and they are most easily achieved with a pump and hose kit. This enables you to empty the water with a simple foot pump, making it incredibly useful for use with our larger models.
- If you decide to manually empty your bubble tube, then siphoning is a relatively quick and easy process. Fill approximately 15 feet of hose with water, and then plug both ends. Put one end into the bubble tube and the other into an empty bucket on the floor. Un-plug the end in the bucket, and the water will begin to siphon out.
- Add our BCB water treatment at every water change to keep bacteria levels in the water lower for longer. The BCB formula has been specifically designed to control bacteria and thwart algae growth, whilst still remaining inert to the components of the system. We suggest that with the addition of this, you should change the water every 8-12 weeks as this is the average amount of time that the water treatment remains effective before it breaks down. Only 20ml needs to be added to the bubble tube at each water change and so purchasing a bottle can last you almost an entire year.
A few tips to help the process go smoothly:
- Wrap a towel around the base of the acrylic column prior to changing the water. If any water spills during the filling process, it can run down the column and into the base, which can permanently damage the electronics. Using a towel helps to protect against this, which could save you the time and money necessary for a repair.
- WARNING: Do NOT use your mouth to begin the siphon, as the BCB formula can be toxic if swallowed. Our Bubble Tube Pump and Hose Kit can make the process easier by having a convenient foot pump attached to start the siphon.
Experia USA include a bubble tube maintenance worksheet with your purchase to help you organise your water changes. Simply record the date of the maintenance, and make note of anything out of the ordinary. This will be important to have if the need ever arises for a warranty claim. However, if you follow these guidelines, you are likely to experience many, many years of trouble-free use from your Experia Bubble Tube.