Bubble Tube Maintenance
As well as home environments, many schools, nurseries and healthcare facilities use bubble tube sensory equipment within sensory rooms to help individuals de-escalate and to improve their learning environment. This can lead to more productive activities and exercises, and a better experience for both students and teachers. Bubble tubes have proven to be an excellent aid for a range of sensory disorders, including Aspergers, ADHD, and autism. Additionally, bubble tubes can help create an environment that promotes mindfulness. All these benefits of bubble tubes emphasise the importance of correct bubble tube maintenance.
The lifespan and functionality of your bubble tube sensory equipment are dependent on a couple of key factors:
- The quality of the bubble tube. A bubble tube is an investment, and buying it from a reputable company at a reasonable price means that it’s more likely to last. Experia USA’s bubble tubes use the best quality materials available, and our columns have the highest clarity of any acrylic tube. The air pumps that we use are among the best in the world.
- Bubble tube maintenance is incredibly easy, only requiring a few minutes of attention every six to twelve weeks.
Why Is It Important To Maintain A Bubble Tube?
Bacteria growth is the main reason why bubble tube maintenance is so important. When water is left for a prolonged period of time, the level of bacteria inside of your bubble tubes gradually increases. This can cause issues with the diffuser, which is responsible for creating bubbles. Failing to clean it will lead to fewer bubbles, and over time you might stop seeing them altogether.
When the diffuser is unable to produce bubbles, added pressure is placed on the pump. This can result in two unwanted situations:
- The pump could overheat and become damaged, which could cost a lot of money to replace, as well as unnecessary time and effort.
- The increased pressure could cause the one-way valve in the air line to fail. If this happens then the entire contents of the bubble tube will leak into the base, ruining the electronics of your bubble tube sensory equipment, and possibly your floor.
Bubble Tube Maintenance: Step By Step
While bubble tube maintenance is extremely easy, it is critical that you carry this out regularly. This will protect your investment and keep your bubble tube running at its optimum level.
Water changes are essential in keeping your bubble tube healthy, and they are most easily achieved with a pump and hose kit. This enables you to empty the water with a simple foot pump, making it incredibly useful for use with our larger models.
If you decide to manually empty your bubble tube, then siphoning is a relatively quick and easy process. Fill approximately 15 feet of hose with water, and then plug both ends. Put one end into the bubble tube and the other into an empty bucket on the floor. Unplug the end in the bucket, and the water will begin to siphon out.
Add our BCB water treatment at every water change to keep bacteria levels in the water lower for longer. The BCB formula has been specifically designed to control bacteria and thwart algae growth, while still remaining inert to the components of the system. We suggest that with the addition of this, you should change the water every 6-12 weeks as this is the average amount of time that the water treatment remains effective before it breaks down. Only 20 ml needs to be added to the bubble tube at each water change, so purchasing a bottle can last you almost an entire year.
Read more about how to clean a bubble tube in our in-depth blog post.
Tips To Avoid Common Pitfalls In Bubble Tube Maintenance
- Wrap a towel around the base of the acrylic column prior to changing the water. If any water spills during the filling process, it can run down the column and into the base, which can permanently damage the electronics of your bubble tube sensory equipment. Using a towel helps to protect against this, which could save you the time and money necessary for a repair.
- Experia USA includes a bubble tube maintenance worksheet with your purchase to help you organize your water changes. Simply record the date of the maintenance, and make note of anything out of the ordinary. This will be important to have if the need ever arises for a warranty claim. However, if you follow these guidelines, you are likely to experience many, many years of trouble-free use from your Experia USA bubble tube.
Experia USA includes a bubble tube maintenance worksheet with your purchase to help you organize your water changes. Simply record the date of the maintenance, and make note of anything out of the ordinary. This will be important to have if the need ever arises for a warranty claim. However, if you follow these guidelines, you are likely to experience many, many years of trouble-free use from your Experia USA bubble tube.